Monday 7 November 2011

Bring some spice to Christmas



Christmas is just around the corner, in this latest post our resident chef Rachel Green talks about the joys of making festive chutney to impress family and friends!

I have just bought a few nets of UK shallots and have put them in a basket on the side in my kitchen and every time I walk past them, they make be smile because they remind me that Christmas is only weeks away.

My cheery shallots are going to be made into Roasted Shallot, Cranberry and Ginger Chutney for friends Christmas presents.

I’m going to make this fabulous chutney and put it into kilner jars, attach a luggage label to say - Delicious with all cold meats and cheeses and especially scrumptious when topped on warm goat’s cheese, with salad or with grilled venison sausages along with my Christmas message of good wishes.

This chutney is easy to make with fabulous results and people love it when they receive a gift that has been made with a nurturing spirit.

I usually take a jar of chutney and attach an old antique chutney spoon with some raffia, they are easy to find in old junk shops and this makes it a really well thought out gift instead of your usual bottle of wine.

UK shallots are special for their depth of sweetness, and the fact that they stay whole, means they look great in the chunky chutney along with the festive colour of the cranberries.

So that you have no Nightmares before Christmas start making your shallot chutney now and be the seasonal shallot Santa who everyone loves!!!

Rachel Green
X

No comments:

Post a Comment